This allotments site (OS grid ref : NS 569 690 )was on the North bank of the Forth Clyde Canal close to the Stockingfield junction of the main canal to Edinburgh with the branch to Port Dundas.On the 1898 OS map it is shown just south of Campbell Street. Initially it was small, about 0.25 hectacre, by 1910 it had grown to 0.35 hectacre. By the time of the 1932 map below, it had expanded, stretched down to the canal bank and covered 2.1 hectacre.
The usual rule of thumb for Glasgow allotments is that there are 40-50 to the hectacre. It had a large central hut. Quite a number of greenhouses are marked. It was almost an ideal site for gardening, on a South-facing slope. It continued with the same area until after 1984, but by the 1994 map , half of the new houses that now fill the whole are shown.
In the Second World War and until about 1950, the field to the direct SE of Stockingfield Canal Junction was used for allotments.
An Allotment site that lasted from at least the 1930ʼs to 1984 was tucked away at the end of Gairbraid Avenue, between a Dye Works and Dawsholm Locomotive Works. Originally the area was a part of the policies of the substantial Gairbraid House that is shown on the 1860ʼs OS map.
There was a Tramway Depot, on the Maryhill Road, close to the site of the present Maryhill railway station. The establishment of allotments on the ʻland for employees ʼ was noted in the minutes of Glasgow Corporation (Vol 56, p.962) in 1917 during the drive for allotment for food production in the 1914-18 War. This site continued on until at least 1951, but when the Depot became a bus depot in the 1960 ʼs seems to have gone.
These four sites are shown on the map on the next page. The squares are 1 by 1 km.